It’s official: June employment is at a record high of 12,330,000

Where are all the new jobs being created?

While the winter temperatures keep cooling down, Australia’s employment number are heating up according to Roy Morgan Research.

In June the total Australian workforce was a record 13,530,000 (up 540,000 in 12 months) and employment grew to a record 12,330,000 (up a large 587,000) with 1,200,000 (down 47,000) unemployed and looking for work. job employment australia

  • Australia’s real unemployment for June was 8.9% (1.2 million). In addition 1.445 million Australians were under-employed in June (10.7% of the workforce). A total of 2.645 million Australians 19.6% of the workforce) looking for work or looking for more work;
  • The increase in employment was driven by a large increase in full-time employment which rose 308,000 to a record 8,100,000 and also part-time employment rose 279,000 to 4,230,000;
  • Real unemployment is at 8.9%, down 0.7% from a year ago but under-employment is up 2.4% to 10.7% over the same period;
  • The Roy Morgan real unemployment figures are substantially higher than the current ABS estimate for May 2017 (5.5%).

7283-under-employed

Gary Morgan, Executive Chairman, Roy Morgan Research, says Australian employment is growing but not fast enough to reduce Australia’s high unemployment and under-employment:  

[Imported] WP Advertize it Free Strategy ad 10 July 2014 (Desktop #44800)

“The Australian economy is growing and generating new jobs – a total of 587,000 over the last year means Australia has a record 12,330,000 people employed in mid-2017.

“Although the longer-term trend shows increasing part-time jobs at the expense of full-time jobs over the past year both grew strongly. Full-time employment increased 308,000 to a record 8,100,000 and part-time employment increased by 279,000 to 4,230,000.

“However, despite the strong employment growth total unemployment and under-employment grew by 319,000 to 2,645,000 over the past year. This total of 2.645 million Australians unemployed or under-employed is the 21st straight month more than 2 million Australians have been looking for work or looking for more work and is a concern ahead of the imminent closure of the Australian automotive manufacturing industry in three months.”

This Roy Morgan survey on Australia’s unemployment and ‘under-employed’* is based on weekly face-to-face interviews of 538,961 Australians aged 14 and over between January 2007 – June 2017 and includes 3,843 face-to-face interviews in June 2017.

*The ‘under-employed’ are those people who are in part-time work or consultants who are looking for more work. (Unfortunately the ABS does not release this figure in their monthly unemployment survey results).

Source: www.roymorgan.com

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s